If you’re part of any law enforcement organization and regularly need to respond to emergencies, the lights and signals you use when doing so are of paramount importance for both your safety and that of other drivers on the road. In today’s modern day and age, the optimal choice for such lights is the use of emergency LEDs, which are both immensely powerful and long-lasting in ways that support first responders everywhere.
At LED Equipped, we’re proud to offer a huge selection of emergency vehicle light bars, dash lights, beacon lights, and numerous other products meant to help law enforcement and other emergency responders identify themselves prominently on the road. What are the top considerations any law enforcement professional should be keeping in mind as they select LED lights for their needs? Here’s a full rundown.
First and foremost, let’s discuss why the LED format is the ideal one for emergency lights as opposed to older, less effective technologies. In short, LEDs offer a number of advantages that make them perfect for first responders:
- Intensity: LEDs are able to produce an incredibly intense light output while still remaining highly energy efficient. This is perfect for law enforcement professionals who need to be seen from long distances away.
- Durability: LEDs are also much more durable and long-lasting than traditional incandescent bulbs. They can withstand vibrations and jarring movements without breaking or burning out, making them ideal for use in emergency vehicles that may encounter rough terrain.
- Customizability: LEDs can be customized to produce varying shapes, colors, and intensities of light. This allows law enforcement professionals to choose the exact type of light output they need for their specific needs.
- Easy installation and management: Another big advantage of LEDs is that they are relatively easy to install and manage. In many cases, they can be simply plugged into a standard outlet and do not require any additional wiring or setup.
At LED Equipped, we offer a wide variety of emergency vehicle lights that take advantage of all these benefits. We carry light bars, dash lights, beacon lights, and a host of other products that are designed to help law enforcement professionals stay safe and visible on the road.
General LED Light Options
While this is not an exhaustive list of any kind, as new products and technologies are regularly emerging within the emergency LED light world, here are some of the most common options you’ll have available for LED light formats:
- Full-sized LED light bars: Some of the most well-known and effective LED lights used by law enforcement professionals are full-sized light bars. These are the large, roof-mounted light bars that you often see on the top of police cars and other emergency vehicles. Light bars provide a wide, 360-degree field of visibility and can be seen from long distances away, making them ideal for use in high-speed pursuits and other situations where long-range visibility is a must. They have customizable light patterns that can be changed to suit the specific needs of any situation, and many models also come with built-in sirens and speakers for added functionality.
- Mini LED light bars: Mini LED light bars are a smaller, more compact version of traditional full-sized light bars. They offer many of the same benefits as their larger counterparts but in a more convenient package that is easier to install and manage. Mini LED light bars are often used as dash lights, grille lights, or rear deck lights, and can be a great way to add extra visibility to any emergency vehicle. These mini lights are typically installed using magnets, brackets or some other type of mounting system, making for a very simple and straightforward installation process. Magnets will generally be used for vehicles that move at slower speeds, while brackets or more secure formats will be used for those that often travel faster.
- Beacon lights: Beacon lights are another popular option for law enforcement professionals, and are often used in conjunction with light bars or mini bars. Beacon lights are typically smaller and more compact than light bars, and are designed to be mounted on the roof of an emergency vehicle. They offer a more focused light output that can be used to signal other drivers of an impending emergency situation. Many beacon lights also come with built-in sirens and speakers for added functionality.
- Dash lights: Dash lights are small, compact LED lights that can be mounted on the dash or windshield of an emergency vehicle. They offer a wide, 360-degree field of visibility and can be used in conjunction with other types of LED lights to provide even more visibility. Dash lights are often used as supplemental lighting in addition to light bars or beacon lights, and many models also come with built-in sirens and speakers for added functionality.
- Hideaway lights: For many law enforcement professionals, the use of hideaway lights is a must. Hideaway lights are small, compact LED lights that can be mounted in a variety of locations on an emergency vehicle. They offer a wide, 360-degree field of visibility and can be used in conjunction with other types of LED lights to provide even more visibility. They can also be taken down and “hidden” when not in use, making them ideal for undercover or stealth operations.
- Running board lights: When we talk about running board lights, we’re referring to the small, rectangular LED lights that are often mounted on the running boards of police cars and other emergency vehicles.
- Grille or surface-mounted lights: These lights, on the other hand, are designed to be mounted on the grille or surface of an emergency vehicle. They assist first responders who need to enter and exit their vehicles in low-light conditions, and can also be used to provide extra visibility when the vehicle is stopped on the side of the road. Most grille or surface-mounted lights are very easy to install.
There are a wide variety of emergency LED lights available on the market, each designed for a specific purpose. It’s important to choose the right type of light for your needs in order to ensure optimal visibility and safety in any situation.
Elements for Law Enforcement to Consider
So how do you choose the ideal light(s) for your vehicle setup? Here are some factors law enforcement pros should be considering.
- Budget: Naturally, the budget is always going to be a consideration when outfitting an emergency vehicle with LED lights. Fortunately, there are many affordable options available that can provide high-quality lighting without breaking the bank.
- Size and weight: The size and weight of your vehicle will play a big role in determining which types of lights are best suited for your needs. If you have a smaller vehicle, for example, then you’ll want to focus on smaller, more compact lights that won’t take up too much space. Larger first response vehicles, on the other hand, can accommodate larger and heavier lights without issue.
- Visibility: One of the most important considerations for any law enforcement professional is visibility. You need to be able to see and be seen in all conditions, day or night. When choosing LED lights for your vehicle, look for models that offer a wide, 360-degree field of visibility. This will ensure that you’re visible from all angles, no matter where you are on the road.
- Functionality: Many LED lights come with built-in sirens and speakers for added functionality. If you regularly need to use these features, then be sure to choose lights that offer them. Otherwise, you may want to stick with more basic models that just provide visibility.
- Mounting options: The location of your lights will play a big role in their effectiveness. Make sure to choose lights that can be easily and securely mounted in the location (or locations) of your choice.
These are just a few of the many factors law enforcement professionals should be taking into consideration when choosing emergency LED lights for their vehicles.
For more on this, or to learn about any of our LED lights or related services, speak to the team at LED Equipped today.