LED light bars are designed to provide bright, powerful illumination and broad visibility in the absence of natural light. When mounted on a car, truck, SUV, ATV or any other type of vehicle, a light bar works in tandem with the headlights to give the driver a clearer view of the road ahead as well as any potential roadside hazards and obstacles.
Many LED lighting distributors – including LED Equipped — offer both single-row and dual-row light bars. Neither option is necessarily better than the other, and the decision on which type to buy comes mainly down to personal preference.
So, how do you choose between the two LED light designs? Taking a look at their advantages and disadvantages may help, and you’ll find the information you need to make up your mind about LED lighting for your vehicle below.
Pros and Cons of Single-Row LED Light Bars
Single-row LED light bars, as their name suggests, contain one horizontal strip of LED bulbs. Dual-row bars have two strips of bulbs, but more isn’t always better.
The reasons people choose to install an LED light bar with one row of bulbs include:
- Size – Single-row bars are more compact, with a lower profile than dual-row bars. As such, they can easily be mounted in spots where larger lights won’t fit.
- Appearance – Because of their lower height, single-row bars are a more discreet option, one that can blend in with the look of any vehicle.
- Price – Buying a bar with one row of LEDs is easier on the budget than buying one with double the number of bulbs.
Why wouldn’t you want to install a single-row LED light bar? The drawbacks of the design include:
- Light output – As a general rule, bars with a single strip of bulbs are less powerful than those with two rows. That said, if the LEDs have a high enough wattage, a single-row bar can produce the same brightness of a dual-row bar.
- Lighting options – Fewer LED bulbs often means fewer options, and some people have trouble finding a single-row model that meets their LED lighting needs.
Pros and Cons of Dual-Row LED Light Bars
The higher price tag and conspicuous design of a dual-row LED light bar doesn’t stop many people from buying one. Quite the opposite – here at LED Equipped, dual-row bars are among our biggest sellers.
Arguments in favor of installing a LED light bar with two strips of bulbs include:
- Powerful illumination – With many LED lighting manufacturers, dual-row light bars produce double the light output as single-row bars.
- Increased options – Two rows of LEDs allows for greater variety in design, and these products typically offer a diverse range of built-in features.
When people decide against installing a dual-row LED light bar, it’s usually for one of these reasons:
- Mounting limitations – Due to their height and size, dual-row bars offer fewer placement options. With some vehicles, finding a model that fits well in the available space can be a challenge.
- Increased drag – Installing a dual-row light bar on the roof of a truck, car, SUV or ATV can create an aerodynamic drag that has a small, but noticeable impact on fuel economy.
Factors to Consider When Choosing an LED Light Bar
The number of rows of LED bulbs a light bar has isn’t the only matter to take into account as you shop. You’ll also need to consider all of the following:
Measuring the spot where you plan to mount your LED lighting is absolutely essential. Single-row and dual-row bars come in an array of sizes – at LED Equipped, we carry models ranging between 12 and 60 inches in length. You don’t want to buy one that doesn’t fit or looks to be out of proportion with your vehicle, and taking the time to measure carefully is the only way to make sure that doesn’t happen.
LED Beam Pattern
Beam pattern refers to how wide and far the light produced by an LED will reach. When you shop for a light bar, you’ll have the choice of a focused, far-reaching spot beam or a flood beam, which creates a bright, wide beam with a shorter reach. You can also go with a combination beam – that way, you’ll have both spot and flood beam lighting, and you can easily switch between the two as needed.
LED Light Color
Amber LEDs provide clearer visibility in inclement weather conditions, but for optimal brightness on an average day, white is a better choice. Want the best of both worlds? Dual-color LED lighting is available, and with some products, you can select both LED colors. Red, blue and green are among the options, but if you don’t need your vehicle to get noticed, these colors won’t provide much of a benefit.
Light Bar Shape
Did you know that LED light bars come in both straight and curved designs? Most people choose straight bars, but depending upon the configuration of your vehicle, a curved one could look better. The decision here is completely one of aesthetic preference, and if you’re not sure which type to buy, browse LED lighting images online or get opinions from a few friends and family members.
LED lighting products from different manufacturers can vary widely in performance, and you want to spend your money wisely. Read not only the description of each product you’re considering, but also the customer reviews. By doing so, you’ll have a better understanding of how it’s supposed to work and whether or not the LED light will actually function as expected.
Anyone can legally buy any type of LED light, but installing the model of your choice might just be against the law in your area. Most states have restrictions on LED lighting for vehicles, and some bars may not meet the local requirements in terms of color or beam pattern. Your state may also have specific rules regarding the placement of LED lights. To avoid a potential citation, fine or other penalty, look into your state laws before you buy a light bar.
Shop with a Reputable LED Lighting Distributor
Scores of online retailers have LED lighting in stock, but where you make your purchase can make a real difference.
LED Equipped offers high-quality, high-performance LED lighting at a fair price, and our inventory includes a vast range of light bars from industry-leading manufacturers. Our products all come with an impressive 3-year warranty, and with us, returns and exchanges are hassle-free.
We’re the go-to LED lighting distributor for law enforcement agencies, first responders, ambulance fleets, fire departments, towing services, construction companies and utility providers across the United States. LED Equipped has an A+ rating and accreditation with the Better Business Bureau, and we’re also a Shopper Approved business, with nearly 800 reviews and a very favorable rating of 4.6 out of 5 stars.
We strive to provide exceptional customer service, and the LED Equipped team is more than happy to answer questions, offer advice and help people make the right decision on LED lighting. Contact us or browse our selection of single-row and dual-row LED light bars today!